...my favorite sites

Sunday, April 1, 2012

prompted by the tailbone

since being in the philippines, i have experienced many things socially, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically...well, this post is to update you on how i'm doing physically. health is definitely of utmost importance anytime, anywhere, and i am realizing that especially when moving across the world, especially to a third-world country, the body can be out of whack even sooner than realized. having said this, i am so grateful that i have been healthy out here (knock on wood that it doesn't change!) and have suffered minimal physical ailments. WIN.

on the jeepney the other day after leaving the hospital for a check-up, i was thinking about my few visits to the hospital and anything medical related...so far, i have been to the neurologist (hit my head really hard and had to make sure all was ok), i got blood drawn to check my iron and potassium levels that sometimes suffer, i got a couple of cases of "sore eyes" in which case i needed some serious eye drops, i had a really really bad tummy situation over holy week last year when i was on retreat, where i had to resort to texting my doctor for some fast-acting meds, and then recently my tailbone has been hurting.

turns out i have coccydynia, which is like trauma to the coccyx (tailbone), which means, if it doesn't get better in 2-3 weeks, this girl is gonna get x-rays done. i hope it doesn't get to that. i never even suffered a fall out here, so the orthopedic doctor thinks it may be from an unexpected bump while i was riding on a jeepney...which is making me think that that actually may have been the cause. the jeepneys are so bumpy that this possibility may not be far from the truth. 2-3 times a day you can find me with a warm compress on my tailbone, and if that's not happening, then i'm sitting on a donut pillow. less than awesome, but i will do what i have to do instead of having to attack myself with painkillers, and then x-rays. i say no.

and so, thank God i am doing well out here! so even though it is painful to sit after a long period of time, and then to even stand up, it's getting better. just gotta make sure to always wash my hands so that nothing gets in my eyes, and then i have to resort to seeing an ophthalmologist again. yay! cheers to good health :) thank you for the prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment