...my favorite sites

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

let your feet do the walking

we write cards in our spare time, and hang out at cvs…that’s what we do! It was a good, good day…I had some crystal time in the city…meaning, walking from my place in gramercy, over to good ol’ news America on 6th ave. Yes, that is right my friends, got lunch with one of my faves, then went up to the office to hang out, and give my hellos. It was a great, great time, and it was so good to be reunited with some of my faves over there. There was joy and peace in my heart, and being able to go to the headquarters of my old corporate stomping grounds, was a great thing that I am very thankful for. It was interesting to be back in a corporate office, in my jeans and sandals, and explain again that I am living at a convent, well equipped with a sign-in, sign-out board, and small stipend every month. It’s not about the money, rather, it is about the ministry, and that is why I am here.

I walked the streets of the city with my ipod on shuffle, and my blackberry in hand. Zooming past everyone and crossing streets even when the little man didn’t show up…I felt like a little new yorker. Haha there was a moment when I was texting and realized I was just walking when the man ahead of me was walking without looking…that maybe wasn’t a good idea, but you learn from that stuff. I’m here to tell the story!

So lunch and the afternoon was good, and then me and m&m went to barnes, and I am now in love with my new moleskin. Dinner was delicious and prayer was beautiful again. My eyes are opened more and more to the deep spirituality of my life here, and I feel my heart being awakened more and more in every minute. Perhaps it is the situation that I am in, knowing that I am a missioner, but in one of the intentions of the sisters, she lifted us up and prayed that we would find what it is that God called us to, out here in new york. It is something good, and something that will happen…and this is for everyone. I truly believe that God calls us each to something, something amazing. Missioner or not. Whether we acknowledge this calling or not, it is there, and waiting for us, and all we need is an authentically open heart, and only then will we be able to uncover what that treasure is. It’s a beautiful thing, and I am finding that when I am intentional about something, goodness comes out of it, as long as it is with a pure heart, and an open mind.

Nothing has been more satisfying today, than smiling to strangers in the street. Yeah, I know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing that on the streets of new york, but when I see people with gloomy emotions plastered on their face, it makes me believe they need a smile, potentially at that very moment. No harm done, and God will take care of me. my feet are tired, but my heart is happy. God did me good today, yet again. There IS beauty here, and there IS beauty where you are. Thanks for coming along.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. Got a shout out =D.

    Looks like you're doing just fine over there in NY. Did you ride on the subways yet?

    Keep on writin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Crystal, HI! I just read part of your blog and wanted to say I look forward to meeting you, Mary and seeing Michelle again. The following quote you wrote struck me:

    I truly believe that God calls us each to something, something amazing. Missioner or not. Whether we acknowledge this calling or not, it is there, and waiting for us, and all we need is an authentically open heart, and only then will we be able to uncover what that treasure is. It’s a beautiful thing, and I am finding that when I am intentional about something, goodness comes out of it, as long as it is with a pure heart, and an open mind.

    This evening I was at Columbus Community and then went out to dinner with Sr. Diane. I thought it would be fun to surprise you all, but found out you were out to dinner too! We will meet soon, I am sure.

    Sr. Bernadette Anello, MSC
    currently on mission in the Philippines

    ReplyDelete